Monday, August 30, 2010

See You....

In a Hundred Years~this is the name of a book I was looking at on Amazon. Back in 2000 a young couple decided to live--for one year--like their ancestors lived 100 years ago. They bought a small farm and ran it like it would have been run in 1900.

Do you think you could do it? I'm not really keen on doing something like this, but it got me thinking about what I could 'take with me' if I did it. So far, I can take my china cabinet and my little Seth Thomas shelf clock. The clock came to Arkansas via covered wagon from Kentucky back in the 1870s. It belonged to an elderly neighbor we had when I was a child. His mother rode in the wagon with the clock on her lap to keep it from breaking on the long ride. My grandpa, who lived across the street, purchased it from him.

My grandpa gave it to me as a gift when I was five years old. I probably have a few other items that could travel back in time with me, but I'm not sure of the dates some of my things were made. I suspect that a few would just miss the mark.

Could you live like they did a hundred years ago for a year? Do you own anything that you could 'take with you'?

9 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a topic I have thought a lot about. For some reason I could see myself living that way, not saying that it would be easy or I'd like it at first, but I could do it and eventually I'd love it.

    Do you remember the PBS show "Frontier House"? I wish I could have signed up for that show, I would have loved the experience and adventure.

    As far as taking anything with me... I can't think of a single thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I'm curious... Did you get the book? Have you read it?

    I just found it on Amazon and read the conflicting reviews, I wonder if it is worth buying and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 years ago, I could of done it, but I'm spoiled in my old age! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't think I could ever make it. I do have some old rolling pins, an old trunk, and a few quilts. Can I take my microwave? Please, please? and my computer? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci~I ordered the book but it has not arrived. I'll let you know about it.

    Sue, I am like you--I feel too old to do something like this, yet it intrigues me and makes me wonder how tough I really am.

    Penpen~not microwaves and no computers, LOL! You reminded me--I can take my old trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad to say, I can't think of a single thing I could take with me either. But then again, as much as I admire that time period & those who lived it, there is no way I could do it. I'm too used to my A/C, computer & grocery stores/restaurants. lol I would love to visit back then for a day or two, but that's all I could handle. I know call me a wimp. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting! I think maybe you could take things with you as long as they had those things back then. Like you could take your quilts and kerosene lamps even though they are not that old, but they had those things back then.I would love to go back in time for a little bit, but don't know if I could live like that for a long time. Let us know about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rose Mary. How are things over there? Keeping busy I hope. Sue said its cooled off somewhat back there, I hope you did too. We are having it really nice. I have never heard of that book, I hope you get it. Take care. Allison

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here from Tipper's place to say hello.

    WOuld I do that? oh . . . I live in a little log house, but it is a modern log house, and though I seem to be "secluded" really I am not - I am spoilt rotten!

    I think, though, there would be a peace to it, knowing you could always return to your life, but there would be something that would grab hold of you and it'd be hard to come back to "reality."

    I would have to write by hand, though - oh dear!

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>