Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Beautiful Tuesday Morning!



It is nice and frosty and cold (20s) outside this morning~and sunny!!!! After all the rain we've had for the past few weeks, I'll take the nip if it means sunshine!

Spring has finally really come to these mountains. I rode the back roads with my hubby on Friday and yesterday, and all the dogwoods and red buds are really gorgeous. I tried to take some pictures of the dogwoods, but they just didn't show up very well.
I am anxious to get my herb beds cleaned out and also to get some new things planted. I'll probably wait another week, at least, on planting anything outdoors, just to be on the safe side. Our 'frost date' is just a couple of days away, but I've been fooled by it more than once!

One thing I'm getting ready to plant in some peat pots is Black-eyed Susan vine. Have any of you ever grown it? It is a very pretty little vine, but very hard to start from seed. Last year, I planted some in a tub outside and it took over 2 months for it to come up! I'd really forgotten all about it by the time it made its appearance!

So, how is your spring coming along? Do you have any plants already started indoors?

Happy spring,

R~Mary




13 comments:

  1. Hello Mary. I've been fooled by warm weather and planting before the last frost date too. My beds are not looking so good yet. I think I lost several echinacea I planted last year. And I learned yesterday my japanese maple is a goner. And I have a birch tree that is only showing leaves on half of it's branches, and have bores in my blue atlas cedar. Kind of upsetting. On a bright note, I left my elephant ears int he ground this winter and several are already sprouting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a frost here last night, Rose Mary! I'm so thankful I hadn't put out my tomato plants yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RM,
    How nice to hear from you. Boy I guess we are all waiting to get outside and play in the dirt. I have a whole lots of Pansys and snapdragons in pots. Had to bring them in for a few days, but they go back out tomorrow. The weather looks to be on a warmer trend. Then over the nexr few weeks I will start putting all kinds of things in pots.
    Sounds like you will be out there as well.
    NANCY JO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by for a visit or two, always enjoy hearing from you! Can we call it spring yet? I hope to get the flower and herb beds weeded once before we move but I'm afarid to clean them out just yet? Such a odd weather pattern. Enjoy the warmth, sunshine and weeding! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the frost can fool us. I have to find another vendor for flowers. Last year and probably for the past 6 years I bought beautiful plants/flowers from a nice supplier. They only sell to organizations-thus my sorority. Now that my sorority has folded and I don't believe he will be selling out right- *sigh* I have to look for flowers elsewhere.

    Take care,
    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring finally seems to have come to NH although I still have a small pile of snow that has not melted. I hope it stays because I don't think I could take another snow storm. We are in the 20's in the morning too but it gets into the 60's and 70's by lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that your drying up out there, soon all the ticks and chiggers will be out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have started my flowers in pots in the conservatory and they are popping up all over the place. I love to see them come up and so satisfying to grow them from seed. My sunflowers are doing best so far, I also have larkspur and Persian buttercups. Love it, just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An old "thing" my grandpa and mom say is to wait for the whipporwill to sing in your area. They've not been wrong yet! :)

    We've got to BUILD our beds. We just started on the idea so we're a little behind schedule anyway! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And HAPPY SPRING to you too, my blog friend! Beautiful pictures. :-)

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Black eyed susan vine sounds lovely!!! It sure is looking pretty in your neck of the woods!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of a black-eyed susan vine. It sounds lovely! Can hardly wait to see your photos.

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! But it's so beautiful there!
    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>