Quilting is a fun hobby today, but most women live their lives without ever trying their had at this old-fashioned art. In the days when women's lives revolved around their homes, quilting was as an important part of their lives as learning to cook, garden, and bake bread. We've all heard of the old fashioned quilting bees, and similar groups still meet today. I thought a few superstitions about quilts would be fun.
1. If a young woman 'shakes' a quilt out the front door of the cabin, the next single man to enter through that door will be her groom.
2. If a young girl completed a patchwork quilt without help from anyone else, she would never marry.
3. If a single woman is first to sleep under a new made quilt, she will dream of her future husband.
4. If you begin a quilt on a Friday, you will never live to finish it.
5. Never quilt figures of humans on a quilt or they will 'walk and visit you at night'.
6. Hearts are unlucky on quilts unless the quilt is for a bride.
7. The name for the 'Wandering Foot' quilt pattern was changed to 'Turkey Tracks' due to the belief that any male that slept beneath the quilt would wander from home and lead a worthless life.
Do you know any old wives tales related to quilting?