Thursday, June 17, 2010

To Weed or Not to Weed


I love weeds. Well, some of them. Some are rightfully called wildflowers, but many still consider them a weed. But for a person who is somewhat challenged in the green-thumb department (like me), weeds can be a wonderful help. Whenever some new looking plant pops up among my struggling-to-stay-alive flowers, I usually leave it, at least for a while, just to see what it may become.

My Mom's Black-eyed Susan flowers.

There is some sort of wild pea-vine (I think), that shows up every year in my day lilies. The leaves are nice, there are no stickers, and they will eventually bloom some very pretty purple/lavender flowers. I think they are a nice 'filler' for that area once the day lilies are finished. And after several years, they haven't harmed the day lilies at all. Of course, day lilies are tough plants. Maybe nothing can harm them. Even all the honeysuckle around here hasn't conquered them, yet.

How about you~do you weed-out all the weeds?

9 comments:

  1. If anything looks different I usually leave it to see what it turns into, LOL, I love any kind of wildflowers, we get the orange "Indian paintbrush" that grows wild and I like to pick those and of course any daisies that pop up and the buttercups:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a terrible gardener. I leave all the weeding to hubs:) Love the pics of the Black Eye Susans. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love black eyed Susans! Those are lovely. I hate weeding, but if I don't, I get overcome with weeds. And that is kind of the position I am in now. I let some grow to see what will become of them. Sometimes what I thought was a weed will surprise me and be a beautiful flower, but most times not, it turns out to be only a weed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have weeds here. Just grasses and wildflowers! :)
    I love the wild look of a cottage garden, where plants re-seed themselves and all we have to do is kick back and enjoy!
    Love your photos today, Rose Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound like sweet peas, they are all over here too and so pretty! Your BESusan's are so pretty! Aren't wildflowers just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some pretty wild flowers but don't have a clue. My weeds are cheet grass and dandelions. I pull and pull. I am not a great gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe I've tried to grow black eyed susans several times and have not had any success? What is up with that???? Yours are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love most wild flowers too. Some smell bad but some are beautiful. If so I let them alone. I love yours that I can see. connie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think some weeds are pretty too : )

    Congrats on getting published-that is super!

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>