Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Biscuits




I love biscuits. But sometimes I just can't get awake enough in the morning to make them properly. So~I started looking around for a good homemade biscuit mix. I finally settled on the one below. It has a great flavor and makes biscuit making a snap in the mornings! You can substitute shortening for the butter, if you like. If you use butter, keep the mix in your refrigerator for up to four months. If you use shortening, store in tightly closed container on your counter top or in your pantry for 4-6 months.


Homemade Bisquick

6 C all-purpose flour, sifted

3 Tablespoons of baking powder

1 Tablespoon of salt

1/2 cup cold butter


Measure the sifted flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Use a wire whisk to blend thoroughly.
Cut in cold butter using a pastry cutter until thoroughly incorporated.
Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 months.


To make biscuits, mix 2 1/4 cups of homemade mix with 2/3 cup of milk. Roll to 1/2 inch thick and cut out biscuits (approximately 12-14 depending on size). Bake at 425 8-10 minutes until golden brown.



This mix makes great sausage balls, too:)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Mary - I pinned this on my Pinterest recipe board! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good idea, but I guess I'm lazy. I use Bisquick or Jiffy to make my biscuits. We love homemade biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love biscuits-and I love your christmasy background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a great idea, Rose Mary~ mix the dry ingredients ahead of time then "just add milk" when you're ready to bake! I'll have to try this becasue we eat a LOT of biscuits around here.

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>