Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Crocus Is Blooming

Someone asked when I was going to start blogging again, and I jokingly answered, "When my crocus bloom." Well, they are blooming and here I am! I've enjoyed clicking around and reading your blogs during my time off.



My dad was in the hospital again after Christmas. The medicine they had him on caused him to have internal bleeding and he had to have several units of blood. He is just now starting to feel some better.


We have been busy with a lot of projects. We are building a new well house and need to do some repairs/modifications on the chicken house, as well as build a shelter for the goats we plan to get in the near future.




The biggest project we are working on is pictured above. Pig races, you're thinking? Well, no, but that was my first thought when I saw the posts and fencing, LOL! There will be pots of dirt in each section of the fencing. We are having to wait for the ground to dry before we can get enough dirt.


This is a joint effort with my brother to join our two farms together. He has been taking classes on pecan growing and we are partnering with him.


We are going to plant the pecans (which have been stratifying for a few months) in a couple of weeks and (if they come up) they will be planted in the 'orchards' next fall. Then, they will have to be grafted in another year. After that we have to keep them alive until they are firmly established. A lot of sweat and labor, but if it works out for us, our first harvest will be in about ten years. If nothing else, it is a new adventure for all of us! I'll be sharing more about this venture as we progress.

7 comments:

  1. Hi RoseMary I am reading blogs again and trying to come up with stuff to blog. Your crocus are beautiful our Bradford Pear is starting to leaf out before you know it Texas will be awash with bluebonnets.

    Congrats on the Pecans I hear the price of them is or has gone way up because of the demand for them in Asia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back!! Blooms are popping up here too, such a wonderful winter we've had!!! A pecan grove sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ten years! Seems pecan growers have to have the patience of a writer. The crocus are coming up in our area, too. I just hope some of the other plants slow down, if not they will surely be killed by cold weather that is sure to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi RaNae~so great to hear from you!! I'm looking forward to reading your blog posts.

    Sue-I agree that this has been a great winter--I just hope we don't have too many bugs this summer!

    Janet, ten years is a long time--but it used to be more like twenty, so I guess some progress has been made somewhere, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi RM,
    Boy you are busy. How much land do you own?
    I wish we had something in bloom here, it will be a few months yet.
    Wanted to thankyou for your kind comments on my site about Richard's Mom, its always hard but I think we are all back on track now.
    Waiting for blooms!!
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing the crocus blooming around here too, Mary!
    Sounds like you have some exciting plans for pecans in your future!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary-good to hear from you-so glad your Dad is doing better. The pecan endeavor sounds great-and as fast as time flies-10 years will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>