Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fun Times Three!

Sorry folks, I've been a little bit busy lately. Savannah had triplets two weeks ago today--two bucks and one doe. They are just the cutest things. But, she also developed mastitis in one of her udders. She had it last year and the vet was sure it would be 'cured' once she dried up. Well, two days after kidding, her udder was hard, red, and swollen.

I couldn't bring myself to put her back on antibiotics. She had so much of it last year and it did her no good whatsoever. So. . .I put her on apple cider vinegar (with the mother). Two teaspoons on her grain at each feeding and loaded her water with it. I'm also adding a little bit of vitamin C and dolomite to her feed. She is doing great! The udder (which is ruined from last year) has no milk. But it has shrunk way down, not hot, and it getting softer and softer every day! I am so pleased that this 'cure' truly works.

She is a very heavy milker, even with only one udder, and so far I only give two bottles a day to one of the kids. I'm sure as they keep growing I will have to give them more in the next few weeks.

I'm so glad winter is on it's last leg. I didn't put out any peas, but I'm getting ready to put some onions out in some of my raised beds. And potatoes will go in soon. Are any of you gardening yet?


2 comments:

  1. Love that apple cider vinegar!!! Good for you for doing what is best for the animal! They are so cute, makes me want goats again! lol
    Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary. Seems like forever since I've visited you. Those goats are so cute! I am glad your cure is working for her. Yah for cider vinegar!

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>