Earaches were fairly common and there were various remedies for them.
1. Vinegar poultice--soak a piece of light (white/wheat) bread in warm vinegar and apply it against your ear until it cools.
2. Blow tobacco smoke into the ear. When I was a child, I saw people do this to babies.
3. Plug the ear with a slice of warm bacon.
4. Put a few drops of warm oil in the ear.
5. Take wool from a black sheep and keep it in the ear.
6. Pierced ears were also believed to be a remedy for ear ailments.
Other than the warm oil, I'm not sure how any of these work. Do any of you know a sure cure for an earache?