Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Writing Wednesday: Beginnings



Snoopy has it right--beginnings are sometimes the most difficult part of the story. As a former SOTP (seat-of-the-pants) writer--(no plan, just sit down and write), I can totally relate. It has taken me three years to learn that an outline, however brief, is a great help to mapping a story. Sometimes I only know the beginning and the end and have to do some thinking about the middle, but I try to get it figured out before I actually start the story. However, winging it from the start can lead to some interesting twists in the storyline, LOL!


What about you? Do you make an outline for your idea, or just let the story evolve as you write?

4 comments:

  1. My problem is the ending. I hear beginnings of stories in my head all the time-but I never know how to get them to an ending : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually write outlines. I just sit down and start writing. I wrote down somewhat of an outline for this last manuscript I'm writing, but I'm not really going by it. So I would say just do what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi RM,
    Well I solve the whole problem by not being a writter. I just envy all of you that are writters.I do read a lot. So I do my part on the other side.
    Looks like the rain might be out of here soon, sure hope so. We have had enough dark and stormy days and nights.
    NancyJo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love Snoopy... I guess every child of the 60's and 70's does.
    I would love to write a children's book one day, Rose Mary- I have lots of ideas floating around in my head but I'm sure when it comes to writing them down they will all be gone by then! *hehe*

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>