Friday, August 12, 2011

Good Morning

Hello to everyone. I'm guessing that my last post about oven canning was a little bit confusing to everyone. I want to clarify that it is not actually 'canning' food. It is a method used by some (at least according to an article I read) to further extend the shelf life of food that you have purchased at the grocery store. Foods like dried beans or oatmeal. It just seals out all the air and helps the food last longer.

I realize that most of you don't want 25 pounds of oatmeal or beans in your house, but I live quite a ways out in the country and I like to stay stocked up on food that I use all the time. The oven canning was in an article in the newest edition of Countryside Magazine. I went to their website, but the article is not online.

How are all of your gardens doing? Mine is about dried up. If the weather is starting to moderate (90s instead of 100s) I am going to replant my squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Our muscadines are still looking good, so maybe I'll be making jelly sometime in September.


4 comments:

  1. Good morning! it's been HOT here too.... almost ready for Fall. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, my garden is drying up. But I have canned as much as I possibly can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our garden is getting very dried up. We are still waiting on our watermelons to get ripe and we have some rows of potatoes waiting to be dug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't even do a garden this year, Rose Mary... and I'm glad because it would have dried up.
    Last year we fed the deer and raccoons well, so this year I decided they could go to the store and get it because they weren't getting it from me! *grin*

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>