Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wednesday


I know that I've been neglecting my blog~and I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with it better. I have been trying to get some projects done around the house. My number one goal right now is to get my kitchen in good working order.

Buying for my kitchen is something that I love, but it is a small room and I am trying to limit myself to things that I really need. It can only hold so many tins and containers. I'm also trying to cut way back on my coffee habit, so I'm storing my large coffee maker under the counter and only keeping out the four cup maker. I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee, so it should be plenty for what I need. And I love the idea of a little extra counter space.

I'm looking for any tips that might help with my storage in a small kitchen. If any of you have suggestions, I more than welcome them!

I keep thinking of our pioneer mothers that made do with a spider skillet, a few tin cups, a bowl or two, plates and very limited silverware. Remember how thrilled Laura and Mary Ingalls were when they got their very own cups for Christmas? Somehow, our 'easier' modern life has become more complicated. I'm not ready to go to only a spider skillet and bowl, but I am trying to organize and cut down.

I hope all of you are enjoying some good weather. It is sunny here today, but a little bit on the cool side~lower 50s.

R~Mary

4 comments:

  1. Lower 50's would be a temperature to break out the shorts and sandals up here!

    As for your kitchen, I store anything I don't use regularly (at least once a week) elsewhere in the house. I have a closet downstairs that has a lot of my kitchen things in it. That frees up a lot of space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Little House on the Prairie when I was a child. They cherished every small treasure - like the statue of a woman on the mantlepiece. I used to long for a statue like that. That is where I got my love of vintage and relishing the pleasure of simple things. I have never lost it.

    Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. I am going to have a look at yours now and enjoy browsing it. (this is one of lifes simple pleasures - and how I love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about having too many "things" in your kitchen. Seems like nowadays there is an appliance or gadget for everything! And if there isn't, just wait a bit, someone will invent one. lol

    When we moved into our new place here, I got rid of so much stuff. But if you looked in my cabinets right now, you can't tell that I did.

    Though I only use certain pots/pans/utensils over & over, I can't bring myself to get rid of the "extras", you know? I just know if I did, then I would find myself needing whatever it was that I gave away. lol

    Oh well....good luck in your kitchen cleaning. :)

    Later, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping up with bloggs are alot of work. I know how you feel. As for your kitchen, we seem to collect abunch of stuff over the years. I have a medium size kitchen and I too have no space to put things. Origizing is not me. I find that stacking bowls works good. And I dont know how these women did it back them? Tough old ladys.

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>