Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cooling Down The Summer

There's no doubt about it~I love to bake. But in the summertime, having the oven on for long periods tends to heat the house up. So, I do my best to find some 'cooler' desserts for summer. The Key Lime Pie recipe below is one of our favorites.

Easy Key Lime Pie

1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
7 tablespoons of melted butter
1 cup sour cream
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of Key Lime Juice
1 cup of whipped cream (optional)

Measure 1 1/2 cups of crumbs for your crust. You may buy a bag of Graham Cracker crumbs, or you may crush your own from a packet of Graham Crackers. Mix the crumbs with the melted butter and press into the bottom and up the sides of a nine inch glass or metal pie pan. Bake the crust for approximately ten minutes at 350 degrees. Watch closely the last minute or two, so crust does not burn. Allow crust to cool completely before using.

When crust is completely cooled, mix one cup of sour cream, one can of sweetened condensed milk, and one half cup of Key Lime juice together, using a hand mixer. Beat until thoroughly mixed, approximately one minute. You may also beat by hand, making sure that all ingredients are well combined.

Pour mixture into Graham Cracker crust. Cover with cling wrap and Refrigerate for at least three hours before serving.If you wish, before serving the pie, beat one cup of heavy whipping cream until thickened. Spread on top of pie. Do not add any sugar to the whipped cream.

Enjoy on a hot summer evening!

11 comments:

  1. This sounds great, think I will give it a try. My Jim, loves Key lime pie. Hope your day is sweet. connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, I love key lime pie and yours looks SOOOO good! Have a great day Rosemary:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew... I know what you mean about the heat! I tried to take the dog out for a short walk a few minutes ago... I don't know who was hotter, me or the dog! The key lime pie looks so cool and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got one in the freezer! We love them too, who wants to make the house any hotter? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh that sounds like a wonderful summer pie, Rose Mary! Anything with a graham cracker crust gets my attention right away! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've copied this one down Mary even though I'm trying not to eat any sweets for a while. I'm gaining weight...again! :( blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy yummy - its my favorite. I copied your recipe down to try myself. No ovens when its 100 outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds yummy. I will have to try it. Hope your not too hot over there. Sue did say its been hot there. We are having a 2 day cool down only in the low 80's today. And I will enjoy every minute of that. I am slowly recovering and thank you for all your prayer and thoughts. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy-sounds perfect to beat the summer time heat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosemary- I have got to try this. How did you know that key lime is my fave yogurt :)

    gonna do it this weekend - hopefully it will cool us all down.

    tammy

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>