I bake bread at least three times a week. If I didn't, we wouldn't have any bread in the house. I love to mix it, knead it, and pat it out into the long loaves I make. Baking bread on Monday, I wondered if there were many old superstitions about bread. This is what I found~as usual, a couple contradict each other:
1. Cut a loaf of bread at both ends, and the devil will just keep going and fly right over your house.
2. If you burn your bread, it either means that the preacher is coming for a visit or that your sweetheart is mad at you.
3. If all the bread at the table is eaten, the next day will be a good day.
4. Putting a loaf of bread upside down on the table is bad luck.
5. Bread must never be burned or thrown away. If this happens, the baker will go hungry.
6.If a person cuts bread in an uneven manner, it means they have been telling lies.
7. Before slicing a new loaf of bread, cut the sign of a cross on top of it.
Do you bake bread?