Saturday, February 28, 2009

Crafts Around The Home

I ordered this book from Amazon last week and was surprised to get it in the mail today~very fast shipping! I haven't done any stenciling before, except for a few stars I put on a game board once. I've been looking for stencils to use on picture frames that I'm painting, and I've been surprised at the prices~oh my!



That's why I was so happy to find The Complete Book of Home Stenciling. There are 24 cards of stencils inside! There are also instructions to cut your own, as well as duplicate others. Most of the stencils are of flowers and leaves, but there are a few others, such as a duck and a rooster.
This is a book I'm looking forward to using. Do any of you have any stenciling in your home? I've read that wall paper is starting to make a comeback in home decorating and I've heard stenciling referred to as the 'poor man's wallpaper'. I can see that one would save a lot of money if you stenciled instead of put up wallpaper. And I'm thinking it might be a lot more fun than hanging those awkward rolls of paper~which I have done before. Also, you could stencil your own version of an expensive paper that is not in your current budget, or maybe duplicate an old pattern that is no longer available. Better yet, you can create your own.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have any stenciling but I've really been admiring it on several blogs I read - I love primitives and colonial and they seem to use stencils a lot. Looks like a great book. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely book and didnt it come promptly ?I bet you cant wait to get started I look forward to seeing what you do with it love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That look like a nice book, you will have to show us your finished work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary-sometimes I stencil on my canvas before I begin my folkart paintings. I hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years back I got a really pretty stencil of seashells all in a row. I stood on step stools, on the tub and anywhere I needed to step on (I am short)and put that stencil all around the top of the bathroom wall up close to the ceiling. It took me quite a while to do it all. But I love it, I said I would never paint over it, and I won't. Hope you enjoy your book and stencil something pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a wonderful book- I would love to do some stenciling in the bathrooms but haven't gotten to it yet!

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>