Wives tales involving spices were very common in Elizabethan times. Here are a few.
1. Accidentally omitting spices when mixing a recipe means that trouble is coming your way.
2. If you pin bay leaves on each corner of your pillow on St. Valentine's Eve, you will dream of your future husband.
3. A basil leaf left under a pot will turn into a scorpion.
4. During Elizabethan times it was considered good luck for a bachelor to wear a sprig of basil on his collar. It would bring the luck of finding a bride.
5. Sprigs of mint tied around the wrist is good for stomach ailments.
6. Oregano is put in a bride's shoes and in her bouquet for good luck.
7. Lemon balm planted next to the front door will drive away evil. Also, lemon balm is said to cause the heart to be merry.
8. If you spill pepper, you will have an argument with your best friend.