Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wednesday Afternoon


A Bird

A bird came down the walk,
He did not know I saw;
He bit an angleworm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw.
And then he drank a dew
From a convenient grass,
And then hopped sidewise to the wall
To let a beetle pass.

by Emily Dickinson


We hung this bluebird house on the tree over five years ago. So far, no bluebirds have been interested. But every year we have some kind of bird family living there. Several species have looked it over this year, trying to decide if it is suitable for their future family. Lately there has been a pair of titmice flying in and out of it, so I think that they are the takers for this season.

We always enjoy the birds every summer. I've noticed that the yellow finch are back. They are one of my favorites and I try to keep sunflower seed in the feeders for them. Our indoor cat also enjoys watching them from the window. He especially enjoys the hummingbirds as they zoom close to the window when they see him watching!

Hope you are all having a good day and that spring is 'springing' wherever you are.

RMary

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

6 comments:

  1. Rosemary, what a wonderful photo and how I luv the poem too!!

    You do have a good selection of birds attending your garden and thougtful of you to place sunflower seeds.

    I'm sure the birds delight in teasing your cat too!!!

    Spring is without doubt a joy to see as we all awaken in beauty.

    Blessings for such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when reading your post. Yes we also have a birdfeeder. Yes we keep it close to the large back window and yes we do this to torture the indoor cats.

    We do have a piggy squirrel that eats a lot of the seeds also.

    Take care,
    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. RoseMary,

    We enjoy our birds. One year I put up a new bird house and by the time I walked across the yard to the house I already had a resident.

    I enjoy watching them so diligently building a nest Mama and Daddy hauling in twigs as big as they are. Then padding the nest with something soft. We can learn alot from them.....

    Thanks for the visit......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I miss the birds. We have sparrows, pigeons and big, black crows. Enjoy your birds for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, spring is back here too!! I have yellow finch year round here, I do keep the feeders full all year too. The blue birds have been fighting over houses for a month now, they won! No hummers yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have yellow finch in our garden as well - they are so beautiful!
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>